The Healing explores a life-saving equine welfare program that brings traumatised ex-racehorses and traumatised military veterans together to help heal each other.
Set against the stunning backdrop of the Southern Highlands of NSW, The Healing is an inspiring journey of recovery that immerses us in the emotional drama of two very different worlds.
The stakes are literally life and death for the thoroughbreds and veterans participating in the Thoroughbred and Veteran Welfare Alliance’s 5-day program. All were highly trained, regimented and of great service and value to their employers, but were then discarded and left to fend for themselves. Their previous skills have rendered them useless in the “real world,” and they now face uncertain futures.
The two vulnerable groups are brought together by professional horseman Scott Brodie, whose unique system of retraining teaches both horses and humans new skills that build trust, patience and confidence. In an extraordinary mutual-healing, the horses are retrained for second careers as equestrian, therapy or recreational horses. The veterans regain their pride and focus, return to work and repair relationships with family and friends.
The Healing will create enormous interest in the Alliance’s groundbreaking program, which can revolutionise the way the Australian Defence Force and Racing Industry responds to the crisis afflicting veterans and ex-racehorses. Urgent change is needed and we need to act now.
Watch the teaser below
Importance Of The Film
- Approximately 13,000 thoroughbred horses are bred for the Australian racing industry each year
- While a small percentage will be successful, approximately 12,000 will be retired each year
- Without retraining and rehoming, approximately 10,000 will be killed and used for pet food and human consumption
- Approximately 5,500 civilians enlist in the Australian Defence Force each year
- Approximately 5,000 will exit the ADF each year and 46% will suffer a mental health disorder
- Since the Afghanistan war began in 2001, ten times more military personnel and veterans have committed suicide than have been killed in combat
The mission of the Thoroughbred and Veteran Welfare Alliance is to transform the lives of traumatised veterans and ex-racehorses, and The Healing will bring their cutting-edge ideas and practices to a much wider audience, to help obtain the vital support and exposure they need to carry on their life-saving programs.